A kitchen sponge is an age-old kitchen tool that has been existing for generations after generations. Dishwashing seems nearly impossible without a kitchen sponge.
But since a kitchen sponge tends to absorb way too much soap liquid and gets very soggy, one might want to try some Kitchen Sponge Alternative to a kitchen sponge.
The main criteria that have to be kept in mind are the quality of the material and cleaning efficiency. Some may also want to go for the eco-friendly and reusable quality.
Pick your Kitchen Sponge Alternative from the bestseller chart below-
- Pick your Kitchen Sponge Alternative from the bestseller chart below-
- Why you should opt for a Kitchen Sponge Alternative:
- Common sponge alternatives:
- 1.Silicone scrubber sponge:
- 2.Cellulose sponge:
- 3.Bristle brush:
- 4.Tawashi brush:
- 5.Swedish dishcloth :
- 6.Loofah and coconut scourer:
- Faq’s about Best Kitchen Sponge Alternative For Your Kitchen:
Some kitchen sponge alternatives like a bristle brush, silicone scrubber, loofah scrubber, coconut fiber, Swedish dishcloth, etc. are available in the market.
This article focuses on different kitchen sponge alternatives and their effectiveness depending on your particular needs.
Why you should opt for a Kitchen Sponge Alternative:
That green-yellow kitchen sponge found lying on your kitchen sink may seem to be a very suitable cleaning product. But it is causing more harm than good.
- The kitchen sponge can be very unhygienic. It can harbor more bacteria and germs than you can imagine. Because of being damp for a long time, a sanitized sponge can also grow bacteria very quickly. Since you are using that for many dishes and pots, cross-contamination can occur.
- Most kitchen sponges are not eco-friendly. Made of polyester and microplastic, your kitchen sponge can be the reason of hazard for one of those sea creatures. These materials do not decompose quickly. Again, most of the sponges are not recycled or repurpose either. Often antifungal and antibacterial agents are used in kitchen sponges. Triclosan is one of those antibacterial agents commonly used in sponges, which is a form of pesticide.
So, even if the kitchen sponge does not make your family sick, it will contaminate an ecosystem. However, a sustainable, zero waste and healthy kitchen sponge can add a lot to your kitchen experience and environmental welfare.
Common sponge alternatives:
Now, if you have made up your mind to replace the kitchen sponge with anything else, then we have a handful of options.
But before that, you have to fix the type of tool you are looking for. If you want a more hygienic and easy to use option, you can go for bristle brush sponges and scrubs made of silicone.
For them, we have cotton clothes, swedish dishcloth, etc. Your personalized needs will help you create a clearer comparison among all the kitchen sponge alternatives available now. Let’s take a look at some of the most common sponge alternatives.
1.Silicone scrubber sponge:
Silicone is an excellently compressible material. If you are tired of your ordinary kitchen sponge being soggy and stinky, a silicone scrubber sponge is the best option. This may be a good Kitchen Sponge Alternative. Silicone scrubber contains small silicone bristles on it’s cleaning surface. Silicone itself is less prone to bacterial attacks.
- Very easy to wash using warm water.
- Absorbs less liquid soap.
- More durable than an ordinary sponge.
- Not suitable for cleaning kitchen counter and stovetops because of being left absorbant.
- Soap can easily slide off.
- Not all silicone scrubber sponge is environment friendly.
Cellulose sponge is made from wood fibers. This kind of Kitchen Sponge Alternative is very porous. Because of having pores, cellulose sponge can hold a lot of water and soap.
Since these sponges can get soggy after repetitive usage, you need to be careful about its hygiene. Cellulose sponge is not for those who want a hassle-free and hygienic dishwashing experience.
- Pure cellulose sponge is environment friendly.
- Very absorbent.
- Suitable for cleaning out organic dirt.
- Tricky to wash. You have to go through two to three steps of washing if you want to make it germ-free.
- Pure cellulose sponge is comparatively expensive.
- Not suitable for stain removal since cellulose sponge is soft.
you may see also:
Bristle brushes have multipurpose usage starting from cleaning floor surface to dishwashing. Bristle brush for dishes is specialized in a way that makes it easy to hold.
The handle and the brush are of different shapes and sizes, making it compatible with all utensils. But the bristol cannot properly maintain the soap liquid.
On the other hand, because of being mostly made of plastic, it’s not always environmentally friendly. However, brushes made of biodegradable materials are also available in this case.
- Good for scrubbing.
- Easy for cleaning bottles and pots.
- Easy to clean and sanitize.
- Very hygienic.
- Not environment friendly.
- Unsafe for delicate kitchenwares.
It is mainly a Japanese cleaning brush. Tawashi brush is made from palm fibers. It is widely used in Asian culture. Palm fiber is entirely renewable and biodegradable. Tawashi brush is as effective as a bristle brush.
- Wholly made of organic materials.
- Effective in scrubbing.
- Does not go harsh on the enamel coating of your pans.
- The fiber bristles can fall out.
- Food particles go deep into the bristles.
- Slightly more expensive than average sponges.
5.Swedish dishcloth :
If you are looking for a healthy and cheaper alternative to sponge and paper towels, you will love it. A Swedish dishcloth is more like a hybrid of a sponge and a cloth.
Swedish dishcloths are made of cellulose and cotton. That means it is entirely natural. They are straightforward to wash.
But after drying, some curl up a bit. However, since it is a dishcloth, you cannot expect it to scrub medium to hard stains.
- The environment is friendly.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Easy to wash and sanitize.
- Lasts up to 9 to 12 months.
- Very hygienic and versatile
- Needs an additional scrubber.
- The shape does not stay intact.
6.Loofah and coconut scourer:
However, the only difference between them is the texture. Loofah provides with a comparatively gentler wash whereas coconut scourer goes a bit rough.
- The environment is friendly.
- Coconut scourer is suitable for stain removal.
- Loofah is scratch-free, thus more suitable for dishes, cutlery, and glassware.
- Loofah and coconut scourer tend to leave out fibers.
Faq’s about Best Kitchen Sponge Alternative For Your Kitchen:
Choosing an alternative to your kitchen sponge also greatly depends on the budget. We have brought a lot of options for you. So, there must be that one alternative that ticks all the boxes. Grab yours and enjoy a smooth dishwashing experience.