It is very annoying as well as challenging to cut with a blunt knife. A good sharp knife is needed to finish cooking on time. No matter how good a knife you buy from the market, after a few days of use, its edge gets damaged. There are simple solutions to this problem. Let’s take a look at some easy ways to sharpen a blunt knife. You can sharpen your knife in many modes: Like-A knife sharpener, A granite stone, or a steel or iron rod. Today we will discuss How to sharpen a kitchen knife with a stone?
Sharpen a kitchen knife stone( granite):
You can sharpen your knives if there is a hard stone in the house. In this case, granite stone will be an accurate and perfect choice. Rub the knife on the granite stone for 20 seconds. You will understand that your knife has been sharpened if you see the sparks of the fire getting hot while rubbing.
If you don’t have stones, you can rub the back of your spice mill. It will also sharpen a knife.
Some other way to sharpen a knife:
how to sharpen a carving knife with a steel:
You can sharpen your blunt knife with a piece of steel. Rinse the steel with water before use, let it dry for half an hour in sunlight unless put the piece of iron in the oven and heat it for a while. Now keep rubbing the knife or pot on this hot steel piece. If you rub it for a while, it will become sharp.
Caution: you must be careful. It would help if you took care not to cut your hand while sharping a knife.
how to sharpen a kitchen knife with rod:
Another way to sharpen a knife at home is with an iron rod. Many restaurant chefs sharpen their knives through rods. Iron rods for sharping knives are available in the market. Also, if you have an excellent clean rod at home, you can use it. Keep rubbing your knife from top to bottom on an iron rod. After a while, your knife or fork will become quite sharp. If you don’t have iron rods, barbecue iron rods will work.
Caution: make sure that the rod does not rust.
bricks as a sharpener:
Brick is another way through which you can easily sharpen a blunt knife. Rub the dull blade on the red brick. That will help to sharpen the knife.
kitchen knife maintenance tips:
- Put a lemon in hot water and clean your knife with that mixture to make it shiny.
- Do not soak the knife for too long. Even so, the possibility of rust remains. As a result, it does not want to cut vegetables well. Therefore, wash immediately without leaving it wet.
- Rinse knives shortly after use. The moisture, acidity of many raw meals can be corrosive to your blade.
- After cleaning, keep the knife in a dry and cool, clean place.
- Store knives away from other things in a dry, open place to avoid moisture, effects, and minor rust. Do not put your kitchen knife in the dishwasher.
- Rust on a knife is annoying. You can clean the knife with coconut or other oil periodically to prevent rust. Rust destroys the oxidation process of the knife. That causes the color of the knife to change. For this reason, while buying a knife, you must purchase a stainless steel knife.
- We use a knife to cut or slice many things. Which sticks to the knife. To prevent this, you must soak it in hot water for a while without rubbing it too much. It will easily remove old stains and dirt.
- Cutting any food with a rusty knife poisons the food. Be cautious about that. If the knife is less rusty, it can be removed by light cleaning, but if it is rustier, take different measures.
- Vegetables and meat must be cut on a wooden or plastic board. This will not damage the edge of your knife. If you leave it somewhere else, there is a possibility of losing the sharpness of your knife.
- After sharpening the knife, soak it in warm soapy water. After 15 minutes, mix with one cup of water and half a cup of vinegar. Put the knife in it for a while. That will help keep the knife edge for a long time.